Throughout almost all of The E Club’s history, The E Club itself almost always had a search functionality that allowed users to search The E Club and later The E Club Family. It started out as FreeFind, and The E Club later switched to Google Custom Search, which The E Club Family still uses today.
When The E Club moved to WebStarts, the Custom Search engine was still there, but there was one problem that the original The E Club didn’t have: The Custom Search boxes were in different places on each page. This probably caused much confusion.
Today, I am pleased to say there’s a new way to search at The E Club – on most of the pages (except the home page and this page), there are Custom Search boxes above the main menu of The E Club, just below the banner at the top of the page. We are also still tweaking the search engine so that it can reach its full potential as the official search engine of The E Club Family.
Make sure to look around The E Club and see the new search boxes!
On The E Club, things can be hard to find due to its many pages. The E Club’s Custom Search can help you navagate this complex, but how does a regular visitor become an expert with searching The E Club? Click on the link below, which leads to part 2 of this entry, and you shall find out.
First of all, you need to type in a search query into the search bar, which is located in the homepage, below the introduction. Search with it, and you will be lead to the search results page. This is the layout of the search results:
- On the top and bottom of the search results, there are “Ads by Google.” These ads, as stated in the content block with the search bar, are connected with The E Club’s Google AdSense account. Also, if you have an AdSense and a Custom Search account, just click on the “Make Money” link in the custom search editing page, and follow the instructions there. It’s another chance to optimize your Google Ads, which means, more revenue!
- In between the ads, there are the search results. They also have labels, which, if you click on them, the results become more specific. There are tons of search results, so be sure that you know what you are looking for!
- Below the set of ads on the top of the search results, there are some words. For example, a search on Mario would have the following text below the ads on the top of the search results:
Results 1 – 10 for mario with Safesearch on. (1.02 seconds)
This means that the search results page that you are on has the results 1-10 on it, the query is “mario,” and I put in a little HTML code that enabled Google Safesearch, for better results. In parenthesis, it tells you that the search results were loaded in 1.02 seconds. The time that the results load depend on the speed of your browser. Now, let’s compare the text above with text from regular Google:
About 187,000,000 results (0.21 seconds)
It looks very similar because the Custom Search’s result text was the older version of Google’s text! Now, Google has made its results more compact.
- Below the set of ads on the bottom of the search results, there are numbers that have links. Just like ordinary Google, these numbers lead to more search results.
- Also, there are green boxes with information about The E Club and The E Club Lite in them. These are NOT ads, but Subscribed Links, for Google searches and Custom Search.
As we all know, Google is the most popular search engine, and the search engine with lots of queries, but now, as you may have seen in the toolbar, there’s a customized web search. A few days after installation of the toolbar, “The E Club Customized Web Search” is added to your browser’s little search box on the top right corner of the screen. This was tested only in Mozilla Firefox, but it may work in other browsers. Also, the search engine has a home page, where you can search the web, images, Conduit Apps (for other Conduit toolbars), video, weather, news, Google Groups, news, and shopping. The coolest thing about the search engine is that, when you type in a search query in the box, click on “More,” and then “The E Club Search!,” you are taken to The E Club’s Custom Search page, where your search results on The E Club come up! This is the same for The E Club Lite.